World of Chig   

21.2.02

Hurrah for Lithuania and Slovenia!


Really pleased with the results of two of the five national qualifying events for Eurovision which were held over the weekend. Lithuania made the right choice with We All (see my earlier posting), which should give them a very realistic chance of winning Eurovision itself. If nothing else, it means a rousing ending to the 24 songs, and the sight of what look like three attractive men to look forward to for my week in Tallinn. Slated by some people as a poor imitation of the Pet Shop Boys’ cover of Go West, that’s EXACTLY what I like about it. There’s no pleasing some people.

And as for Slovenia, well, well, well. I paid only slight attention when it was announced a while ago that one of the acts in their final was a group of transvestites (or transsexuals, depending on the source, as some people clearly don’t know the difference). I thought I’d never get to see them, what with not having Slovenian TV and all. But whaddya know? They’ve only gone and won, haven’t they? Oh deep joy! A legitimate angle for Gay Times coverage, an extra reason to persuade the BBC to let me have a press pass too, and possible money to be made by me in Tallinn. Fabulosa! What’s their song like? I have no idea. Does it matter?

All we need now is for the Weather Girls to win the German final – a distinct possibility, I would think – and Tallinn 2002 will be turning into a veritable festival of Euro-campery! Hurrah!

· link

Home