World of Chig   

30.1.02

Why Lithuania could win Eurovision

How did Ralph Siegel manage to get a song into the Lithuanian final without any of us noticing?!
I could hardly believe ‘We All’ by B’Avarija, and now I can’t stop playing it! It’s surely the best song released this week (apart from Mull Historical Society’s ‘Watching Xanadu’ of course, but sadly that’s not in contention for the ESC). It sounds like classic Siegel to me, only better. With an intro that has that Karnival/Can Can flavour all over again.

I know it’s early days, with lots of other songs to hear yet, but if Lithuania pick ‘We All’, I reckon they’ll have a fantastic chance in Tallinn, with them performing last.

1) It’s really rousing and catchy.
2) It gets going very quickly.
3) They sing “Now everybody sing along” and later “Now we’re together let us sing”, continuing the ‘party’ theme of last year (and the Olsens). You can almost see them encouraging the audience to stand on their chairs and join in.
4) The song makes oblique references to 11th September and the war in Afghanistan without actually saying so. It’s a ‘message’ song, but it’s not schmaltzy like ‘Millennium Of Love’ (or this year’s Israeli song, judging from the few lines I’ve read from it).
5) It has that ‘aspirational’, I’d-like-to-teach-the-world-to-sing kind of feel to it.
6) It’s in English.
7) It’s performed last.

All they need to do is correct the small English mistake in the second verse (unless I’ve misheard it), which is easy; it could become “love’s the common thing”.) (Perhaps I’ll mention this to them at the first press conference. I’m sure they’ll be thrilled.) ;-)

However, there are two Lithuanian songs which could stop this winning ;
‘Happy You’ is really strong (in a good way) and ‘I Wanna Hold You’ is a DIRE attempt to catch the mood of Estonia 2001. “It’s Summer time! It’s party time!”. And is that a shout from Shaggy thrown in there too?!

Hope they go for ‘We All’. Here is the complete lyric:

We All

I know we’re far away, a million miles
I know that we can’t see your eyes
But just for you we wrote this happy song
Now everybody sing along

CHORUS
We all wanna brave the hardest highs
Wanna fly to higher skies
Wanna see a million smiles
We all wanna hold each other’s hands
Wanna laugh and sing and dance
We’re together, we’re best friends

And if we’re watching different TV news
Our different languages we use
That doesn’t matter, love is common thing (sic)
Now we’re together let us sing.

(CHORUS x2)

We all!

· link

Home