World of Chig   

28.1.02

A Song For Europe 2002

What’s Chig doing up at 08:30 on a Monday morning? Can it really be that time of year again? Why yes, the day has arrived when my radio gets its annual reminder of where Radio 2 is on the dial. As I grit my teeth and try to tune into the ‘humour’ of Terry Wogan and Ken Bruce, they reveal the eight hopefuls in this year’s A Song For Europe competition. Now it’s up to us to pick a song for Tallinn that will perform better than the last two miserable years.

So here we go with my thoughts on the first two, courtesy of Wogan:

A Song For Europe: Song 1: Lovestruck
Artist: Honeytrap
Writers: Ben Copland, Yvonne John Lewis, Nicky Cooke, Phil Dane

One of two songs that Ben Copland has in the last eight. Spoken intro, acoustic guitar with stabbing power chords. Mmmm. Sounds surprisingly contemporary – I could even imagine this as a less poppy Britney track. The female voices sound quite sweet, but not sickly, and it’s very damn catchy. I’m quite impressed.

· link

Home