World of Chig   

19.1.02

Mon 14/01/02

Chig suffers facial scarring accident – no pretzel involved.



Oh woe is me. Sunday evening, 17.55: All I did was bend down to turn off my little radio, which was on the floor, on the landing, as I was going to watch TV. Somehow, I then stood up too quickly and at slightly the wrong angle, and caught my head with an almighty whack on the corner of my CD shelves. I fell to my knees, gathered my thoughts for a second, and staggered to sit down at my desk. I sat there thinking, ‘I’m going to have an almighty headache later’, but worse was to come. A few minutes later, I realised blood was dripping from my forehead, so I went to the mirror and was genuinely shocked to see a 3cm vertical gash just below my hairline. Nice clean cut though – those CD shelves have really sharp corners, I realise now.

After I cleaned up my wound and stuck on a plaster to keep the two edges of the wound together, I felt very sorry for myself. I contemplated going to hospital to have it stitched up, but then remembered (a) my car is in the local garage, waiting to have its battery replaced and (b) last time I was in A&E I waited for several hours and (c) they would probably think this is really trivial. I therefore decided to just feel sorry for myself, but inflict a photo of the bloody wound, by e-mail, on my mother and nurse sister. (1001 Uses For A Digital Camera, no.837.) Nurse sister has said I will live. Thank goodness for NHS training.

Awoke this morning to hear on radio about George Bush’s accident. Laughed. Winced. Head wound has gone tight and it hurts. More blood in bathroom later. Still wondering if this should have been stitched.

UPDATE: Thu 17/01/02
Have had to avoid long periods at the PC this week, due to frequent headaches. Feeling crabby and irritable. Have only been out wearing baseball cap due to very obvious blob of congealed blood on forehead. Thankfully, have been growing fringe lately, which covers it quite well. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have been out at all.

· link

Home