World of Chig   

2.11.01


SOFT CELL gig review - Part One
Birmingham Academy, Thursday 25 October 2001

The conversation I overheard in the cloak room queue: Local bloke (evidently relieved that the venue is pretty busy), to the woman with him: “This is one of those where I thought it could be really empty or it could be completely packed. I’ve told a few people like that I was coming here, and quite a few said ‘oh I would’ve liked to see them’, but other people like said ‘God I can’t stand him!’”

The audience: As I quipped in the cloakroom queue at the end, when surrounded by shaven-headed thirty- and fortysomething men, who all seemed to know each other, “It’s a Powerhouse reunion”. (A reference to Brum’s top gay night in the mid-eighties, and also the venue where I once saw Marc & The Mambas in concert.) Or, as someone else said to me, “There are people here I thought were dead.” There were certainly a lot of familiar faces, but the crowd was actually quite wide-ranging, including many people who must have been too young to remember Soft Cell when they started. There were even a couple of fully geared-up goths, obscuring my view for a while with their backcombed hair.

The support: As I brought my beer up the stairs to wait for Ian, I heard the support band’s opening chords and thought ‘Hurrah! It’s Carter!’ It all made perfect sense; Carter USM are back together and have been touring recently. However, I was completely wrong. This lot are called the Fuzz Light Years. Three boys and a girl singer, all about 20 years old. The singer is really engaging; she’s like a skinny young Chrissie Hynde meets PJ Harvey, wearing Jarvis Cocker’s old school blazer. She has a kind of Poly Styrene helium voice, slightly snarly, which really suited their songs, and when I could tear my eyes away from the cutie on guitar (fresh-faced with nouveau Sid Vicious style hair – very sexy), I really enjoyed them. Actually, I must confess, after Ian arrived a few songs into their set, we talked all the way through the rest of it, but I heard enough to know they were pretty good. Reminded me a bit of Helen Love, but more serious.

· link

Home